Friday, October 17, 2008

kid-talk

One step up the corporate ladder. More power. More responsibility. And more shit to deal with.

i was asked to have a tête-à-tête with the kids. And so i did. And i realized that i am so good at giving advices! Because i am not the one at the receiving end. 

What i found re-assuring was that every single one of them said they have no issue; how good the work environment is and how helpful everyone is. One kid told me of how scared everyone is of me – because i can be really harsh sometimes. That had me in spilts. i told him i only bark but don't bite. But all of them said they don’t mind me giving them a piece of my mind sometimes. SM said the kids are buttering me up. Hell, i am no bread that they can butter – the only way to impress me is through their work. Which i made amply clear – that i don’t expect anything less than 100% from them and till i am satisfied with the quality of work, i am going to nag them.

Of course, i know i am unfair sometimes. Because i expect everyone to grasp everything at one-go. i hate repeating the same thing twice. This is something i need to change – i need to have more patience.

i hope i have been able to motivate the kids. i told them that anytime they have any issue, they can approach me, if they don’t like the way i deal with them, they can say that to my face.

i don’t know whether i like this role – i like the part of where i impart gyan and dole out advices. But i am not too sure i will like the part where i have to be politically correct and all that. i think i will stay my incorrect self and see the reactions.

6 comments:

Does it matter said...

True.

Patience is a virtue, so difficult to cultivate yet so easy to preach. But it is one that can change into something extremely negative, if it causes passivity.

Motivation is a nice word, but so tricky. When you motivate someone, you are trying to change their behaviour - is that necessarily good? Yes, from a business pt of view. But, is it also so, otherwise. Can a carrot & stick policy always be considered good - like it is in the capitalist scheme of things..?

Net net, giving advice/ gyan, or motivational, or being politically correct, is all fine, rather immaterial - as long as you meet "The Goals" that have been set.

Don't the ends justify the means, always?

gypsy said...

Now, now. This is a heavy-duty comment!

Yes, patience is something so difficult to acquire. i guess it is like intelligence - either you have it or you don't. And i don't have it - i mean patience not intelligence!! The most i can do is try to count upto 10 everytime i feel like giving the kids my god-why-don't-you-get-a-brain-transplant look!

i feel trying to change some behaviours which hamper the work environment is OK. i am not out to change their identities, their basic . It is just that we expect them to be professional in their outlook and not behave like they can get away with anything. Like i say, you should earn what you get.

i don't know whether the ends justify the means. Not for all cases. Or maybe i kid myself - as always!

And thanks for dropping by and making me think!

gypsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Does it matter said...

Saw the blog, liked what I saw. So no thanksgiving necessary! You are the one writing, I am merely feeding on it - in a way!

Just wondering, whom you call the kids, how much of kids are they literally or otherwise. Otherwise, I think I got the answer, but literally?

Counting upto 10 is patience, I blow up by 5. So yes, you do have patience.

Intelligence, ummm, let me get back to you on that one. Lol.

Rain Girl said...

love your self portrait lolz :P

you know, my darn PC is soooo slow..it taught me a lot of patience..one cannot actually command a system to open a file in a second - mine used to take atleast15-20 min hehe. I learned a lot from it. No point in breaking the monitor na.

gypsy said...

@matter: Umm..let me say merci then!!

Well, some of them are married! Some of them about to get married. So chronologically speaking, they are not kids at all. It is just that they happen to be 4-5 years younger to me and i treat them as kids!

Sometimes i blow up before i reach 1!!! i am intelligent - Modesty is not my strong point!

@rain: i painted that picture some ages back. Glad you like it.

i am trying to cultivate patience by scrubbing tiles! hee hee